PARIS – Petra Kvitova, whose comeback from a knife attack here at Roland Garros two years ago was one of the feel-good stories of the 2017 edition, announced Monday that she’s out of this year’s edition.
There had been tightness in her left forearm before arriving in Paris to prepare. But the 29-year-old felt a sharp pain after hitting a forehand in practice Sunday.
She immediately stopped the practice. She said that “tears came to her eyes.”
An ultrasound revealed nothing. But an MRI performed later in the day showed a tear in the forearm. And she was forced to withdraw.
Kvitova was the No. 6 seed, due to play Sorana Cirstea on Court Suzanne Lenglen later today. She’ll be replaced by lucky loser Kaja Juvan, an 18-year-old from Slovenia.
Kvitova said that her doctor back in the Czech Republic concurred with the tournament doctor, in that she would do more damage to it by playing and then could be out as long as six weeks.
As it is, she said the prognosis was 2-3 weeks to heal it. And so she’s hopeful that the grass season won’t be compromised.
— Roland-Garros (@rolandgarros) May 27, 2019