More bad news on the health front for Milos Raonic.
The Canadian returned after a seven-week absence due to a wrist injury in Tokyo this week, and won his first round against Viktor Troicki.
But Thursday against Yuichi Sugita of Japan, he was broken in his opening service game – and then retired from the match.
The reason was a calf injury. Raonic also pulled out of next week’s Masters 1000 tournament in Shanghai.
Unusually for the Canadian, he skipped his mandatory post-match press conference.
He issued a statement through the ATP.
“I picked up a strain to the calf. It’s hard to know the extent of it, I’ll have to wait because it’s too soon to have an exact evaluation. It happened when the score was deuce. I felt a sharp pain at the back of my leg. I will head home now and get medical attention,” Raonic said in the statement.
“It’s been a difficult and frustrating year. I obviously wish I could have focused on tennis more rather than chasing help all the time.”
It’s yet another physical setback for a player who has had plenty of them in his career, most of them involving his hip and upper-leg area.
The Brisbane event already landed Rafael Nadal. So it will be very strong at the top of the entry list as it completes with Doha (which has three times the prize money) and the old Chennai tournament, which recently announced it was relocating to Pune, India.
Roger Federer already has committed to playing the Hopman Cup again to start 2018.
NEW YORK – Canadian Milos Raonic has had his fair share of injuries, that’s for sure.
But he’s usually been lucky enough not to miss a Grand Slam.
The 26-year-old’s luck ran out this time, as the left wrist issue that hampered him in Montreal and forced him to miss the Masters 1000 in Cincinnati last week will also keep him out of the US Open.
“I have tried everything in my power to rehabilitate this injury in time for the US Open in order to play an event that is so truly special to me. However, the pain is too great and, in consultation with my doctors, I am left with no option but to withdraw from the event,” Raonic announced on Instagram.
Raonic also said that he underwent a procedure Tuesday to remove portions of the bone that have been causing the discomfort.
He said he has “too much respect for the US Open and my fellow competitors to take a spot in the draw when I know I cannot give full effort due to this injury.”
Raonic said he’s already back in the gym starting rehab, and hopes to be back on court in a few weeks.
“I look forward to rejoining the tour healthier and stronger and finishing the 2017 season in proper form,” he wrote.
Other big events on tap
Raonic made no mention in his note about two other major upcoming events on his schedule.
Canada plays Indian in a crucial World Group playoff tie in just over three weeks in Edmonton, Alberta.
And right after that, Raonic is due to lead Team “rest of the world” against Team Europe in the inaugural Laver Cup in Prague.
Raonic’s absence just adds to the top-10 woes at this event with Novak Djokovic, Stan Wawrinka and Kei Nishikori also out (all of them for the season).
His absence will give a lucky loser a spot in the draw. And it also will move Juan Martin del Potro up to the No. 24 seed. And that means he can avoid the top eight seeds in a potential third-round match.
It also means that Robin Haase of the Netherlands squeezes into a seeded spot in the draw.
Raonic had been scheduled to be the No. 8 seed. Now, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (who hasn’t done much of late) will get that seed.
The players really are dropping like flies, it seems like.
The latest casualty is Timea Bacsinszky.
The 28-year-old from Switzerland, currently ranked No. 24 and on track to be seeded at the US Open, reached the French Open semifinals a little over two months ago.
She hasn’t played since losing a three-setter to Agnieszka Radwanska in the third round of Wimbledon.
And she won’t take the court in the foreseeable future.
Bacsinszky announced Monday that she will miss both the New Haven warmup event and the US Open with the thigh injury that has been troubling her for a few months. She has already missed Toronto and Cincinnati.
She said the thigh is better. But she has also taken advantage of the time off to have an ongoing hand injury treated.
Bascinszky said the hand problem goes all the way back to the end of last year. She needs more rehab on it, and also is going to have some specialists look at it.
So the Swiss star has decided to skip Montreal and Cincinnati. The two Masters 1000 series tournaments, which take place on back-to-back weeks, are a major grind.
“After much backwards and forwards and consultations with my doctors and my team unfortunately I have decided to skip Canada and Cincinnati to be on the safe side, even though I’ve been battling hard to make these events,” Wawrinka said in a statement.
“Hugely disappointing for my fans and myself that I have to make this decision. But I need to be 100 per cent confident before I resume competition (until) the injury that plagued me in Wimbledon has been resolved. My team and I are doing everything possible to make this a speedy recovery.”
“Stan has always been loyal to our tournament and we’re obviously disappointed he won’t be here this year. He is one of the best players in the world and we wish him a quick recovery and best of luck for the rest of the season,” Lapierre said in a statement.
Wawrinka is ranked No. 4, with Novak Djokovic (who also won’t be at either event) down to No. 5. The top three players in the rankings are still in both events.
Come to think of it, Andy Murray also has been pretty quiet lately. Let’s hope that’s a sign of good news, not bad news.
Martin Klizan of Slovakia also has pulled out of the Rogers Cup. Which means American Donald Young, who gave Kei Nishikori such a tussle late Tuesday night at the Citi Open, is promoted into the main draw.
Next in with Wawrinka’s withdrawal will be Kyle Edmund of Great Britain.
Those are just the players who were in the top 25 at the tournament’s entry deadline. Monica Puig, Yaroslava Shvedova and Saisai Zheng also have withdrawn.
Who knows, by the time the draw is made, there might be more.
A lot of players have pulled out of the qualifying as well. And that means, for a Premier-level event, the current cut-off is at No. 334, with doubles specialist Olga Savchuk. That’s not Premier-like.
The carnage isn’t nearly as bad in Mallorca, the International-level tournament also held next week.
Germans Laura Siegemund and Annika Back are out with long-term injuries. So far, Monica Niculescu of Romania is the only other player to withdraw.
Men hard-hit too
On the men’s side, the Queen’s Club event will not have Juan Martin del Potro or Brit Dan Evans. Or French Open Rafael Nadal, Diego Schwartzman or David Goffin. Goffin is still healing that nasty ankle injury suffered in Paris.
In Halle, Germany, only Pablo Carreño Busta is out, after suffering an abdominal injury during his match against Rafael Nadal at the French Open.
Other notable men’s players who have withdrawn next week: Kevin Anderson, Malek Jaziri and Borna Coric.
ROLAND GARROS – There are moments on a tennis court where humanity trumps tennis.
They are nearly always sad moments.
Thursday at the French Open, Nico Almagro and Juan Martin del Potro shared one.
The 31-year-old Almagro has been at this 15 years. He’s been in the top 10, won 16 ATP Tour titles and more than $10 million in prize money. He’s accomplished quite a lot in the grand scheme of things and on the ATP Tour these days, 31 is hardly retirement time.
But his last two tournaments have ended in agony and tears because of a left knee injury.
The Spaniard had just won the second set against his old friend del Potro when, early in the third, the knee went – again.
It happened just two weeks ago in Rome when he was playing another good pal, Rafael Nadal. He was forced to stop in the fourth game of the match.
On that occasion, it almost looked like he’d taken a bullet in the knee, when he went down in a heap after what seemed like a fairly innocuous twist as he landed after hitting a shot. It didn’t seem possible Almagro could be back in time for the French Open. But he was. And he won his first-round match against Marcos Baghdatis of Cyprus.
But it was hard-fought, four close sets. And sometimes it’s the day after, and the day after that, that prove the challenge with a not-quite-healed injury.
Deja vu all over again
The Spaniard felt the knee in the second game of the third set. Del Potro headed over to Almagro’s side of the net, but quickly returned to his own side as Almagro indicated he would try to continue.
On what turned out to be the final point of the match, Almagro let a second serve just fly by. He didn’t even see it; his head was already down. He already knew it was over.
You could hear him from the top of Court 2, as the entire court went silent. He fell backwards onto the court, his chest heaving up and down, wracked with sobs.
Throughout, del Potro was as solicitous as it’s possible to be on a tennis court – especially on such a big occasion for both. They were extraordinary scenes. The Argentine stepping over the net to get to the other side to offer what help he could. Helping his old friend back to his chair, and sitting with him to offer comfort once he had retired from the match.
Del Potro is the guy you want around if the worst thing in the world happens to you. But even the power of a Delpo hug wasn’t nearly enough in this case.
Del Potro knows exactly how it feels to be unable to do what you do best because of an injury. He has lost years to his wrist issues and, indeed, is playing his first French Open in five years.
“I tried to, I don’t know, tried to find a good words for that moment. I say to him, ‘Try to be calm.’ Try to think about his family, his baby. And sometimes the heart is first than the tennis match or the tennis life,” he said afterwards. “It’s an unpleasant feeling. You have a player who is suffering quite a lot. He was in agony. It was tough. I told him that tennis is important, but health matters more than tennis in this case, because I want him to be out of his bad patch.”
The Argentine, who will play No. 1 seed Andy Murray in the third round, wasn’t feeling all that great himself.
He had treatment for a groin injury earlier in the match, and the anti-inflammatories still hadn’t quite kicked in when Almagro made the point moot – at least for this day.
“It happened to me when I was at 3-1 or 4-2 (in the first set). I had to hit the ball with my backhand, and I was wrong-footed. And I felt pain on the groin and lost some mobility. I won the set very quickly,” del Potro said. “In the second set, had to call the doctor so that I could get some anti-inflammatories, and I hoped that the anti-inflammatories could be effective. All of a sudden, he suffered pain on his knee.”
Del Potro said the groin situation is nothing new.
“I know I have one day and a half to feel better. It’s an old problem for me, so my physio knows how to treat that. But I will see,” he said. “Hopefully I can be in good shape, because I would like to play 100 per cent in the third round, and I’m feeling good with my game at this moment. But I need to be in good shape, as well.”
ROLAND GARROS – In Genie Bouchard’s mind, the mind of a professional athlete who wants to compete, it was always a “go”.
But only in the last 24 hours or so was there much belief that the 23-year-old Canadian would indeed take the court for her first round at the French Open as she deals with a Grade 2 ankle sprain suffered last week in Nürnberg, Germany.
The injury forced her to pull out of that tournament.
“There’s no magic powder or special things you can do, it’s just time and treatment. Of course it’s always frustrating, but it happens, and it’s part of being a professional athlete,” Bouchard said Saturday, as she officially confirmed her participation. “I tried not to be negative about it, and just take it day by day.”
The injury occurred on a routine run for a drop shot. And Bouchard said the condition of the court was largely responsible for what happened. Indeed, Germany’s Laura Siegemund injured her knee on the very same court a few days later, and was forced to pull out of the French Open.
“I started with balls being fed to me, without movement and slowly I added movement, normal progression. The ankle is stable, so that’s a good thing,” Bouchard said. “In my head it was always yes. But I was taking it day by day this week in practice to really see. I think the last two days we had more confidence that I’d be able to play.”
That the women’s singles draw is wide open this year is an understatement. You would almost give Victoria Azarenka, who made a surprise appearance on Court Philippe-Chatrier Saturday during Kid’s Day and plans to return from maternity leave in just over two weeks, a legit shot at making the second week.
Bouchard, who plays No. 72 Risa Ozaki of Japan in the first round, isn’t thinking big picture at the moment.
“I’m just happy to play the tournament. I really wasn’t sure a week ago that I could play. So for me it’s already a victory. What’ll happen, I don’t know. But for sure, lots of players in the draw have a good chance,” she said.
The Canadian’s half of the draw will play its first-round matches on Monday and Tuesday. With 12 of the matches to be scheduled Monday and the remaining 20 on Tuesday, she had a better-than-even chance of getting the latest start possible.
First-round play on both the men’s and women’s side begins Sunday.
As well, Bouchard made a request for a Tuesday start. Don’t ask, don’t get, right? Whether it was random luck or her request being granted, she will play Tuesday. And that gives her three more days to continue her progress.
Bouchard played Ozaki, who is a month younger, in the juniors on two occasions and won in straight sets. The last time came in the 2012 Australian Open quarter-finals.
More recently, the Canadian had a tough time with her Japanese opponent at Indian Wells last year. Ozaki began that first-round match well, got a lot of balls back into court. Bouchard had to recover from a set deficit to win.
The match wasn’t without its drama.
Here’s what she had to say after the victory.
Same game plan
The Canadian won’t want to be engaging in any long rallies, with the ankle one false move away from ending it all. But she said she won’t change her game plan.
“I think that in the match I won’t think about that. That’s what I’ve done my whole career. Usually I don’t feel much of anything during a match anyway, because of adrenaline and being concentrated on the match and nothing else, “ she said. “So I don’t want to change my game because of that.
“I’ll go, and play my game 100 per cent, and after that I’ll see if there’s anything I have to manage with my ankle.”
Would she have played, had it not been a Grand Slam tournament?
“But I think so. It’s feeling better and better,” she said. “I always want to play. It’s difficult for me not to play.”
ROLAND GARROS – Petra Kvitova practiced at Roland Garros Thursday.
And after what the 27-year-old Czech went through at the hands of a stranger who invaded her apartment last December, this alone was a major victory.
If she gets on court at the French Open for her first-round match, which appears to be the plan, that will be another victory. And then, it will be just about tennis again. Finally.
The 27-year-old Czech was hopeful a month ago that she could make it back from surgery to repair the ligaments in her fingers in time for the French Open. It seemed optimistic at the time, more of a motivational tool to keep her going during all the tough rehab.
But she made it. Whether or not she’ll be in good enough health to win a round, or more, is almost beside the point at this point.
Kvitova will have a press conference Friday amid all the top players who will have their media availabilities, after the men’s and women’s singles draws are made at noon.
From the looks of things on Thursday, it may be all systems go.
As well-liked as she is, there could well be inappropriate press applause when Kvitova enters the room. Under these exceptional circumstances, it’s unlikely anyone will have any sort of issue with it.
Despite not having played all season in the aftermath of the attack, Kvitova remains ranked No. 14. So she will be seeded. And that will offer her a potentially easier first-round match than might have been the case if she were just floating around the draw.
ROLAND GARROS – The women’s side in these days leading up to Sunday’s French Open start is all about the case of the sprained ankles.
The most crucial one, with all due respect to Genie Bouchard, is that of Simona Halep.
With her title in Madrid, and the finals appearance in Rome that was sabotaged by the ankle sprain, she’s clearly a favorite to take the title on form.
The big question is whether the ankle will allow Halep to win her first career Grand Slam title.
Halep was out on Court Suzanne Lenglen Thursday. If we had to rank them, we’d have to say Halep’s ankle is in better shape than that of Bouchard. That’s based on the extent to which the Romanian was moving, which was at a slightly more aggressive level.